How can I bond someone out of jail?

During regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 5PM, excluding Holidays), bond can be posted at the Clerk of Courts office located in room 1200 of the Law Enforcement Center. The Clerk of Courts office will accept cash, a money order, or a cashier’s check.NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED.

During normal business hours, City of La Crosse Municipal bonds may be posted at the La Crosse City Hall, 400 La Crosse St.

After business hours and on holidays bond can be posted at Master Control in the jail.  Master Control can be accessed by entering the jail at the public visitor’s entrance on NORTH end of the Law Enforcement Center at the bottom of the ramp. The jail will accept a money order, cashier’s check or a major credit card.  Please note there is an additional fee charged if bond is posted by credit card. THE JAIL DOES NOT ACCEPT CASH OR PERSONAL CHECKS.

If you are paying by money order or cashier’s check, they are to be made out to:

For La Crosse City Municipal bonds—“City of La Crosse”

For Out of County Warrants—“(name of specific County) County”

All others—“La Crosse County Clerk of Court”

If the defendant fails to comply with ANY conditions of bond, the bond money could be forfeited.  If the defendant is found guilty, the bond will be applied to any restitution, fine or costs.

When will an inmate go to court?

The initial court appearance is typically scheduled for Intake Court at 1:30PM the next business day after the arrest.   To find an inmate’s next scheduled court appearance, click here for WI Circuit Court Access.

What kind of property can I drop off for an inmate?

NO items may be dropped for an inmate, except prescription medications, eyeglasses or other medical equipment (must be approved by the Jail Nurse).

Books, hygiene items, writing material, uniforms and shoes are provided to the inmate while in custody.  Inmates may purchase stamps, snacks, underwear, t-shirts and other necessities through canteen with their own funds.

A friend/relative was in jail and left property, how long do I have to pick the property up?

If the inmate has completed the property release form naming you as the person to get the property, you have 30 days to claim it or it will be disposed of.  To pick up property, come to Master Control with a valid picture ID.

Can I drop off money for an inmate?

Yes, you can deposit funds (cash, no personal checks) into an inmate’s account at Master Control.  Please note that any fees owed by the inmate will be deducted from the deposit.  Inmates are allowed to order canteen items 3 times a week if they have money in their inmate account.  The items on the canteen list include writing material, stamps, envelopes, personal hygiene items and snack type food.  The maximum amount an inmate may spend on a single order is $30.00.

What are the visiting hours?

Visiting hours are Monday and Thursday evenings from 6PM to 920PM and Saturday morning from 8AM to 1115AM.  You must have a valid photo ID to visit.  For information on visiting click here

Where is the jail located?

The La Crosse County Jail entrance is located on the North side of the Law Enforcement Center, 333 Vine Street, La Crosse, WI View Map

What is the mailing address for sending an inmate a letter?

All inmate mail must be addressed as follows:

La Crosse County Jail
(Inmate name)
333 Vine Street
La Crosse, WI 54601

**all incoming mail must have a complete return address including a full name.

** If there is no full name and return address, the letter will be sent back to the Post Office.

What can I send an inmate in the mail?

No subscriptions of any kind will be accepted

“Postage Due” mail will not be accepted

Inmates may not receive stationary, envelopes, stamps, stickers, labels, or any item containing glue.

Any mail that is dirty, stained, heavily perfumed, or contains foreign particles (like powders or fabric softener sheets) will be considered contaminated and will be retuned to sender.

No photos containing nudity, drugs, alcohol, firearms, offensive material, inappropriate behavior or gang symbols will be accepted.

Can I call an inmate or leave a message for an inmate?

Inmates have access to telephones from approximately 8AM to 10PM daily. Inmates can make outgoing calls only; they cannot receive incoming calls. The telephone system is operated by Securus. All outgoing phone calls are collect.  You can set up an account by calling 1-800-844-6591.  Please note jail staff has no control over the phone system. If you have a problem with the phones you may address it directly with Securus.  All personal calls are recorded.

If you are receiving calls from the jail and wish them to stop you can block your telephone number by calling 1-800-844-6591.

Jail staff will not take personal messages, unless extenuating, verifiable circumstances arise.

If you have further questions regarding the status of an inmate, bail/bond amounts, or visiting schedules for a specific individual, please call the La Crosse County Jail at (608)785-9630.

Follow Us

Share This